Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How much stuff does he need!?



OK, so this post is in no way to say anything bad about Micah's school or his teacher, but how much stuff does he have to have!?

Look at all this---go ahead and count.....

For school supplies that are REQUIRED before school starts, he had to have:

-10! folders

-6 composition notebooks

-highlighters

-expandable filing folder with at least 10 or more pockets
(I'm not even sure if I did that one right because really it only had 5 but I'm assuming you can use each space as a count. The ones with 10 pockets were like its own suitcase.)

-large 3 ring binder

-index tabs

-pens

-pencil sharpeners

-erasers

-pencils

-pencil zipper bag thing

I mean I had to stuff it tight to even fit in his backpack! I guess he'll be carrying his lunch box separate. And it weighs a ton, and this is even before he gets to school! If he's got to bring any textbooks home, then I don't know where he's going to carry them!

Remember, he's only going into 3rd grade! I don't think I ever had to have that many folders or notebooks in all my days of school and even college!

Sorry to be venting, and I know there are a lot of teachers out there who buy school supplies out of their own pocket, but by the time I bought all his supplies, backpack and lunchbox, it was over $50! Maybe that's nothing, but it's a lot to me, and I don't even know what Caleb is going to need yet. (Oh, and I haven't even started on school clothes!)

It was so stuffed and heavy that we couldn't even hang it on the hook thingy (thanks Sally, I finally had Troy install them) with the other bags. See--it has to sit on the floor so the hook thingy won't rip off the wall.



(Oh, yeah, by the way, Caleb asks that I mention he has a new song on his blog you can see.)

9 comments:

Troy said...

Becca, those hooks are on the wall, and aren't going to fall off from one backpack full o' stuff... I set them in the wall better than that!

Vickie said...

Ok, I'm know we haven't met in person or anything, but Troy's comment totally made me laugh out loud. Now I'm curious--go hang the back pack up and see if it stays. :)

I'm so glad I have a few years left before I have to deal with school expenses. Yikes!

Sally and Paul said...

The "hook thingings" look great, Good job Troy for getting them up.
What do you pay taxes for?????? the school should be supplying a lot of that stuff!!! Hopefully he will not have to bring it all home each day.

Juliet said...

That is crazy. I know Ash is only in Pre-K but all she needs is a bag they give her all the folders and stuff at school.

Angela said...

woah, that is some third grade! Thats crazy!!

Angela said...

woah, that is some third grade! Thats crazy!!

{natalie} said...

that is a lot of stuff. i love school supplies though. hopefully he'll have a spot at school he can leave most of it.

Unknown said...

Sheesh, did they expect you to take out a bank loan to get it all? ha ha lol! that is crazy! I hope the school knows that familys aren't all just made of money!

Anonymous said...

Who said you had to listen to what the teacher wants? I never did.