Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Incorporating the Job Charts

So, yep, once again we are trying to use the job chart system at our house. This time I set it up and told the kids that if they completed at least 6 out of 7 days on average for 4 weeks, that they would get a special treat at the end of the month.

Micah wants to watch a "big kid movie", Caleb wants the sheet music to Star Wars, Jewelia wants a little Princess Leia figurine, and Troy wants a hard drive. (Of course, I don't think the hard drive fits in with the other small rewards, so we'll see!)

Now, we have only had 1 day of the job chart, and as you can see, SOME people are doing their jobs (Daddy!!!! Ha haaa!!! You slacker!! Well, I excuse you for one day---you had to do some work from home. I still love you!), but there is one major thing that isn't getting accomplished;

LISTENING!--This isn't exactly a job, but I put this on the bottom of the kids charts to see if I could get them to listen better. Obviously this isn't working yet. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have the hardest time getting the kids to listen to anything I say. Especially when it is bed time. It literally takes over an hour to get the kids in bed from the time I start saying "get your jammas on, brush your teeth, go to bed". Or rather, anything else takes at least 2-10 times repeating before they do it. It's been driving me crazy, so I added it to the job chart.

Now, I do have chances with the listening job. I give them 3 chances, or strikes in a sense. They can ignore me, or choose to not do whatever 3 times. But after 3 strikes, that's it, and they don't get to put a star on the listening job.

So, is it working you ask? Well, by looking at the job chart it does not look very good so far! We will have to see what today and the rest of the week looks like.

6 comments:

Juliet said...

We have a chart for Ashlyn and like you give her small rewards for doing well...it seems to be working well...however I never thought about listening...I will have to add it because I also have to say things about 3-4 times before she gets the hint! :) Hope it goes well for you!

Vickie said...

The not listening thing is so frustrating! And I only have a 2 year old. It's so annoying to repeat myself several times. I hope the chart helps with that area! Good luck!

Rachel said...

Maybe do rewards at the end of each week instead of at the end of the month. That might be a little more achievable and help to get them motivated. Probably couldn't do a harddrive for something like that... but maybe an allowance or something.

Sally Wood said...

I just studied charts like this in my last class and the best way to implement reward systems. Have you taken a class? It seems like you are doing it perfectly!

Haley Flowers said...

I'm not looking forward to having older kids! Let me know what works for you so I can do it too! :)
All I have to say is that Micah and Troy seem so much alike! :)

Angela said...

I'm with Haley. I'm not looking forward to having older kids. So let me know too what works and what doesn't!! :) It sounds like a great idea to me!