Sunday, October 4, 2009

Becca's First Real Homemade Halloween Costume Reveal!!!

Ok, so I am really proud of this first ever homemade Halloween costume that I just finished for Caleb. This is Pikachu. He is a Pokemon. And if you don't know what in the world that is, well, I guess you aren't missing out on too much. Well, not unless you are a 7 year old boy.

Anyway, Caleb wanted to be Pikachu, and while I could find a cheap hat on ebay and I came across another hat for 50 cents at the D.I., there was no way I was going to pay $40 for a Pikachu costume online or at the store. Or even $30. No way! Especially for the wimpy felt material that they use anyway.

So, after bidding on several on ebay and losing because they were going up to millions of dollars, I had an idea to make my own.



Now if you don't already know, I have no sewing skills whatsoever! I can't hardly even sew on a button. If you have seen Micah's cub scout uniform you will surely see.

But, I decided to go for it. I went to the fabric store and bought some yellow fleece, brown fleece, a yard of elastic, some batting, a roll of yellow thread and brown thread, and some needles. Then I went to work.

I had no pattern. I don't know how to use patterns. I had no sewing machine. Don't know how to use those either. But I just cut and sewed and guessed and then fit it all together. I am pretty impressed with myself for my first costume. It didn't even come out that bad, and Caleb loves it!

Only problem now is the hats I first came across don't exactly match the costume. Does it matter? Caleb likes the more mushroom type hat we got online, but the color is a darker orange-ish yellow. The cheap D.I. hat matches a lot better, but it fits kind of weird and I have to bobby pin it to Caleb's head to stay on and not slip over his eyes.

So what do you think? Do you like the 1st or second hat?

Oh, and I've got to find him some yellow pants to go under it, but I think we're good for Halloween!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

You have mad skills! I say go with whatever hat Caleb likes best! =)

Sally and Paul said...

First hat. Good job!

Sonja said...

Becca!! I am so impressed. What a great costume! My kids were obsessed with Pokemon a few years ago and would have loooved this. You are one talented cookie. :)

Haley Flowers said...

I am very impressed. That looks awesome! (I like the first hat)

Wendy said...

Nice job with the costume. I think the first hat goes with it better.

Summie said...

wow becca that is really good sewing is a hard thing to do. I took a class on it and still can't do it well. but I like the first hat the best but either one will look great.

Angela said...

I just have to say you are amazing